Gluten Free Biscuits
texture inside. In order to achieve this, they had to be "drop biscuits",
though, not the kind you roll and cut out.
2 1/4 C almond
3 T coconut oil or
palm oil (see note below)
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 C powdered egg
1/4 t salt
1 T "sweetening
power" from artificial sweetener
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 C other milky
liquid - can be unsweetened soy milk, milk, cream, or half and half
very important that you use a fat that is solid at room temperature.
Coconut oil (the refined kind that doesn't taste like coconut) or palm oil
(sometimes marketed as "trans-fat free shortening") are ideal.
OK, but they won't be quite as fluffy. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER OIL
oven to 400 (important, as the water turning to steam is part of what
makes them fluffy.)
1. Mix oil and almond meal together with a mixer or pastry blender until
it's like coarse meal.
2. Add the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. If you're using liquid artificial sweetener, put it in with the cream.
4. Mix wet and dry together, and let the mixture sit for 3-4 minutes.
5. Drop by tablespoons on foil-covered baking sheet. (If they are a little
bigger or smaller, no problem.)
Bake for about 10 minutes, depending upon size, until golden brown.